Who is it for?
Suitable for people 18 years and over, this course has been designed to meet the first aid training needs of child minders and child carers. It meets the needs of Sure Start and Early Years and is appropriate for members of National Child Minders Association and Preschool Learning Alliance as well as anyone who is caring for children. This paediatric course is recognised by OFSTED and also includes the requirements of the appointed person in the workplace.
Course content includes:
- Accidents – how and what type occur
- Unconscious casualty – adult, child and infant
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) – adult, child and infant
- Contents of the first aid kit
- Dealing with blood loss and shock
- Burns and scalds
- Causes of unconsciousness and anaphylaxis
- Electric shock
- Foreign objects
- Recognition and management of fractures
- Administration of medication
- Recognition of infectious diseases and minor illnesses
- Recording and reporting
First aid for child carers certificate, valid for 3 years.
Candidates must be physically able to carry out the procedures detailed in the course outline.